Welcome!


About Me E-mail
Have you heard the one about the homeschooling family that lives on less than $22K a year in an area that costs above 100% (116%) of the National CoL Index?

I haven't quite figured out why so many people still persist in perpetuating the myth that living on a single income and homeschooling on a dime aren't possible. I can only suppose these are people who can't imagine life without a daily trip to Starbucks and dinner out several times a week. The people who actually shop at malls (*shudder*) and think "Brand Name = Best". The people who really live by the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.

That? Would not be us!

Welcome to our world. We cook from scratch. Buy from thrift stores. Find 95% of our homeschool materials for free. This is my blog and this is how we do it.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Yes, I am sheltering my kids!

For the past few days I have come across comments from anti-homeschoolers who accuse homeschooling parents of "sheltering" their kids to the point of denying the children the opportunity to grow up. In several cases, the argument was kids need to be exposed to the sex and drugs and bullying because they're going to have to face it "someday". (More in full post.)

By this logic, I should've let my children play in the front yard as toddlers, so they could be exposed to cars driving by, because someday they were going to need to know that standing in the middle of the street could get them killed. It didn't matter that they weren't yet developed enough to understand the concept. By not letting them out there, I apparently denied them a critical opportunity to grow up properly. Bad mom! No cookie!

THIS ARTICLE, talking about a middle school after-school trip to Planned Parenthood (!), explains that someone spoke to the kids about the services offered by Planned Parenthood - including annual exams and PAP smears, testing for sexually transmitted diseases, birth control and pregnancy counseling - but that this was all okay because they didn't mention abortion.

What?!?

My son is in middle school. He is not ready to have chats about sexually transmitted diseases or birth control. And because I haven't thrown him to the wolves of public school, thankfully, he's not being exposed to this sort of thing before he's old enough and mature enough to understand it.

Yesterday, I even read a comment on a blog by someone who said 12-year-olds need to be fully educated about sex "before things become a problem." Now this wasn't talking about explaining to your child where babies come from - this was, well, this was written by someone who would clearly support field trips to Planned Parenthood.

Give me a break. Yes, I do shelter my kids. It's called PARENTING. I think quite a few people need to look that word up! Preferably before they have children themselves.

Labels:

4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!!

Besides bullying as an adult would actually be against the law and so would unwanted sexual talk but hey they're just kids and kids got to learn.
Christy, who hopes the tone of my reply was heard.

June 13, 2007 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger Hanley Family said...

OK, Christy wins with the perfect response. All these wonderful things our children are somehow learning by failing is incredible. Schools only have to get a little worse, and the crime rate should disappear, I think!

June 14, 2007 at 4:24 AM  
Blogger Sherry said...

I think that, as parents, if we purposely exposed our kids to what they are exposed in p.s. we'd get a visit from C.P.S.

June 14, 2007 at 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen this t-shirt?
"I homeschool because: I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children."

June 18, 2007 at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



© 2007. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced by any means
except for print-outs for individual home, private use.