Welcome!


About Me E-mail
Have you heard the one about the homeschooling family that lives on less than $22K a year in an area that costs above 100% (116%) of the National CoL Index?

I haven't quite figured out why so many people still persist in perpetuating the myth that living on a single income and homeschooling on a dime aren't possible. I can only suppose these are people who can't imagine life without a daily trip to Starbucks and dinner out several times a week. The people who actually shop at malls (*shudder*) and think "Brand Name = Best". The people who really live by the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.

That? Would not be us!

Welcome to our world. We cook from scratch. Buy from thrift stores. Find 95% of our homeschool materials for free. This is my blog and this is how we do it.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Creative writing with Aesop's Fables.

Here's something a little different from your typical creative writing prompt:

CREATIVE WRITING USING WORDLESS PICTURE BOOKS

I really do like the concept and think it would work well for my dyslexic daughter, but, well, *ahem*, I don't want to buy any wordless picture books. So instead, I popped on over to Project Gutenberg to see what I could come up with, and I found this: THE AESOP FOR CHILDREN. It has lots of lovely illustrations, and as they are WOO! public domain, I can print as many as I want. My daughter loves animals of all kinds, so I picked several and now I'm going to let her choose one and write a short story about what she thinks is happening in the picture. Then we can read the "real" story together and see how hers compares, in a same/different sense, not a "this one is good, but yours is bad" sense. I think she'll enjoy this much more than a word prompt of the "Imagine you're sailing a boat on a jungle river...." kind.

Aesop's Fables is by no means the only illustrated book at Project Gutenberg. If you have a child who might need new ideas for writing, poke around the PG site and see what you can find. :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



© 2007. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced by any means
except for print-outs for individual home, private use.