Welcome!


About Me E-mail
Have you heard the one about the homeschooling family that lives on less than $22K a year in an area that costs above 100% (116%) of the National CoL Index?

I haven't quite figured out why so many people still persist in perpetuating the myth that living on a single income and homeschooling on a dime aren't possible. I can only suppose these are people who can't imagine life without a daily trip to Starbucks and dinner out several times a week. The people who actually shop at malls (*shudder*) and think "Brand Name = Best". The people who really live by the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.

That? Would not be us!

Welcome to our world. We cook from scratch. Buy from thrift stores. Find 95% of our homeschool materials for free. This is my blog and this is how we do it.

Friday, June 22, 2007

My advice to new homeschoolers.

I really wasn't sure if I was going to do this post, as part of the PASS THE TORCH HOMESCHOOL TIPS AND ADVICE CAMPAIGN because a) I'm not sure I wouldn't just be saying the same things everyone else is saying and b) I haven't a clue what a Mr. Linky is.

But I decided I did want to mention the 3 things I have found the most crucial to homeschooling.

1) Read, read, read, and then read some more. Research homeschooling like you were about to have to give a five hour lecture to a crowd of people who have never heard of homeschooling. Read every single thing you can find and get your hands on. If you don't know where to start - google it. Your reading list will be enormous after just one simple web search.

2) Join a support group or co-op. There is a school of thought with some people to not do this as it sounds too "school like" and so they refuse to get involved. But a support group is invaluable to you as a resource where you can meet other homeschooling families, find a mentor in someone who's been at this for awhile now, and give your kids a chance to make new friends. It can also provide you with a chance for your kids to do some things that may be closed to them otherwise, like perform in a drama or group sports. To find a local group, try googling "homeschool support group" plus the name of your city or town. Or, google "homeschool" plus the name of your state, to find a state-wide association that can then point you in the right direction.

3) DON'T DON'T DON'T rush out and buy a pre-packaged curriculum until you have researched it THOROUGHLY. Try this site: HOMESCHOOL REVIEWS to find out what other parents think about anything you are considering buying. You can spend (and waste) a fortune on curricula that ends up being something you hardly, if ever, use. Even if you've pulled your child from school in the middle of the year and have no idea what to do next - do NOT rush out and buy something. Go to the library and check out some books and spend a little while de-schooling and de-toxing. Let your child read all and as much as he wants while you spend the time to research things and make an informed decision. A few weeks of de-schooling, or even a month or more if you and your child needs it, can easily be made up later.

(And remember, you don't HAVE to buy any curriculum at all! See the rest of my blog for more about that.)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great ideas!

~Leslie

June 22, 2007 at 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice! I love all the free resources you have. I'll have to come back and check them out more when I have time.

June 22, 2007 at 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post - and great blog! I can't wait until I have more time to explore!

June 22, 2007 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

What great advice! I'm so glad you joined us for the Homeschool Tips and Advice project. So do you know what a Mr. Linky is now?

;))

June 22, 2007 at 9:54 PM  
Blogger Just Me, Jenni said...

Thanks everyone. :) And yes, I guess I now understand what a Mr. Linky is - though I was still confused on the concept when I got to the blank for "name" - hee!

June 24, 2007 at 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



© 2007. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced by any means
except for print-outs for individual home, private use.