Friday Five for Free.
1) Music Appreciation Lesson Plan for High School credit: MUSIC APPRECIATION
2) Downloadable & printable state-standardized exams (from Texas) PLUS interactive online versions: STANDARDIZED TESTS - You can use these at home if you want to mark your child's progress.
3) Complete Elementary Algebra (basic high school algebra) course with book, instructor's manual, student answer key, quizzes and tests: TOTALLY FREE MATH
4) Bible and Christian study guides and information ranging in topics from in-depth studies of individual Bible books to virtual tours of the Holy Land to Bible puzzles: PADFIELD BOOKS
5) The NRRF Reading Competency Test: READING COMPETENCY - a short, easy to administer test to determine on what grade level your child is reading. *Please note this information, regarding the test: "Part 2 consists of six paragraphs taken from the middle part of school readers, grades 1-6, that were in wide use 100 years ago - a time when children were taught to read with intensive, systematic instruction in phonics. Each paragraph represents material that anyone who has been properly taught should be able to read and comprehend within their grade level. Keep in mind that grade-level 6 is equivalent to high-school level reading today."
(While I firmly believe that children should not be pushed into reading before they are ready - no matter what the folks behind NCLB think - it is helpful to have an idea of what your child's reading level is when you are looking for appropriate books and materials for him.)
Labels: curriculum chatter