Welcome!


About Me E-mail
Have you heard the one about the homeschooling family that lives on less than $22K a year in an area that costs above 100% (116%) of the National CoL Index?

I haven't quite figured out why so many people still persist in perpetuating the myth that living on a single income and homeschooling on a dime aren't possible. I can only suppose these are people who can't imagine life without a daily trip to Starbucks and dinner out several times a week. The people who actually shop at malls (*shudder*) and think "Brand Name = Best". The people who really live by the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.

That? Would not be us!

Welcome to our world. We cook from scratch. Buy from thrift stores. Find 95% of our homeschool materials for free. This is my blog and this is how we do it.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

How I create my "free" curriculum, Part 2.

Now, that I explained a little bit about how I build my curriculum, I wanted to give a more detailed example. (More in full post)

Yesterday, I came up with a 50 States geography curriculum, that I'm not even sure I'll ever use, LOL!

While poking around on the Stickers and Charts website, I found THESE US STATE STICKERS - second set HERE. I thought, "Oh, wouldn't those be cute in some sort of 'passport' notebook, where the kids get a sticker for each state studied?" So then I went on a google search and eventually came up with this plan:

Print an outline copy of the US - FROM HERE - and put it in the front of a notebook. Print several copies of THIS STATES QUICK FACTS PAGE to be filled out using information from these sources - THE INTERNET LIBRARY and AMERICA'S STORY. (Two notes - the Quick Facts form only needs page 1 printed. Page 2 is blank. Also, on the internet library, if you click on the individual state name, it will take you to a page with more info and lots of links directly related to that state.)

States could be studied in alphabetical order or, IN THE ORDER IN WHICH THEY JOINED THE UNION. (THIS PAGE allows you to sign up for a 25 week e-mail program that directs you to study 2 states a week - by order into the union - it could help keep you on track.)

You can also print BLANK OUTLINE MAPS OF THE INDIVIDUAL STATES and COMPARISON CHARTS FOR THE STATES.

Here is how I would pull all that together:

I'd start on Monday with a certain state (using order into the union). We'd read about the state at the internet library and follow some of the links. We'd color the state on the US map and label it, with its capitol. We would also write out some interesting facts we learned about the state, just using notebook paper.

On Tuesday, we'd fill out the Quick Facts form and the comparison chart, and also visit the America's Story website. We'd print the state outline map, color it, and label it with major cities and natural features - rivers, mountains, etc. We'd finish the state by using one of those cool stickers - sticking it to the Quick Facts page, as a mark in our "passports" that we'd "visited" said state.

We'd repeat this for a new state on Wednesday and Thursday.

On Friday, we'd do something fun, like cook a meal known to that region, or read/watch a book or movie relating to a state we'd studied.

As I said, since we're working on World Geography, I'm not sure if or when we'd actually even use this plan, but I wanted to use it as an example of how you can take multiple sources to come up with one finished plan.

Labels:

5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! just happened upon your blog today. NICE! we're a military family on JUST a military paycheck and though some times are tighter than others, we manage just fine, too!

I wanted to post and make sure you knew about my blog as i have various free printables that might be useful in your homeschooling. check back reguarly as i add new ones as i make them for our homeschooling or for the occasional request.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/PeakmoreAcademy

June 14, 2007 at 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also creating my own curriculum using pieces of OFE and AO and another books list that I really like. I have a link for you to a newsletter that if you click on the archives button that have lots of topics.

I also am really enjoying how you put together your currciulum. Do you do it just one week at a time or do you have a yearly plan? I realize you are trying to fall the PS for that dual enrollment thing but perhaps you have some leeway.

Anyway here is the link.

http://www.learningthroughhistory.com/newsletter/archives/current_issue_news.php

Christy

June 14, 2007 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger Just Me, Jenni said...

Thanks for the link, Christy. I'll check it out! :)

Yes, I basically build my curriculum as we go, that way I can make adjustments as necessary. Generally, I am one week ahead of myself, so while I've been posting week 3 here, we're actually ourselves still working in week 2. Sometimes I do work a little farther ahead because I know I'm going to be particularly busy.

June 15, 2007 at 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is another great link that I found and it is based on grade level.

http://www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/by-grade.shtml#8

How long does it take you to do that? Like a couple hours on a weekend to make stuff up? I am toying with planning a whole year out but maybe that isn't such a good idea. I am mulling things over.

Christy

June 15, 2007 at 6:50 AM  
Blogger Just Me, Jenni said...

Christy,

I spread out working out the curriculum over the course of the week. Each subject takes from about 15 minutes to 1/2 hour. (Depending on how much time I spend looking at websites for supplemental info.) I just make sure I have the upcoming week done by Saturday night.

June 16, 2007 at 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



© 2007. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced by any means
except for print-outs for individual home, private use.