Welcome!


About Me E-mail
Have you heard the one about the homeschooling family that lives on less than $22K a year in an area that costs above 100% (116%) of the National CoL Index?

I haven't quite figured out why so many people still persist in perpetuating the myth that living on a single income and homeschooling on a dime aren't possible. I can only suppose these are people who can't imagine life without a daily trip to Starbucks and dinner out several times a week. The people who actually shop at malls (*shudder*) and think "Brand Name = Best". The people who really live by the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.

That? Would not be us!

Welcome to our world. We cook from scratch. Buy from thrift stores. Find 95% of our homeschool materials for free. This is my blog and this is how we do it.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hello.

I just wanted to take a quick moment to say a "Hello!" to everyone who has stopped by my blog. This blog is just a few days shy of being one month old and I'm so glad to know that people are already finding it useful. And to those of you who have made comments or e-mailed me, thank you very much for taking the time to write.

Welcome to you all and please feel free to "speak up" and post any of your own ideas or suggestions or favorite links or anything else that comes to mind. :)

Labels:

6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I visit several times a day just to see if there is something new. I am getting a mixes cookbook from the library to try out and have tried a few of your shopping ideas. I have also gleaned a few great links for school. Keep up the great work. You have inspired me!

Christy

June 26, 2007 at 9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love your site. I check it out more than once per day and am often pleasantly surprised that you post more times than I check! Your posts have helped me to keep trying to be frugal! It's an uphill battle sometimes, but your blog is one of the many that really keep me going. Thanks!

June 27, 2007 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Just Me, Jenni said...

Aw. Thanks, y'all. :)!

June 27, 2007 at 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a cool blog. I just found it but am really enjoying reading it. I am a homeschool homemaker as well and find living economically to be a very fun hobby. It is cool to get new ideas and be inspired.
Abbi

June 27, 2007 at 11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Abbi said.

Actually, I found you through
the frugal blogroll, and now you're on my Opera speed dial!

If it's not too personal -- how do you manage housing costs? When we moved to a higher-cost area, our mortgage doubled in price AND doubled in duration

-- Jora

July 5, 2007 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Just Me, Jenni said...

Jora,

We lose a substantial amount of our income to housing, well over half when you include insurance and HOA dues. This is, of course, contrary to what the "budgeting experts" recommend - those who say you should never spend more than about 35% of your net income on housing - but we really don't have too much choice. Staying under that percentage wouldn't even get us a garage apartment where we live. We are actually considering moving to another part of central Florida that is slightly less expensive, but we won't know for sure if this is doable for another month or so.

Meanwhile we live on our tight budget as best we can. And I hope that doesn't sound like I'm complaining! Losing as much as we do to housing isn't terribly fun, but I'm still simply grateful that we aren't homeless!

July 6, 2007 at 12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



© 2007. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced by any means
except for print-outs for individual home, private use.