Welcome!


About Me E-mail
Have you heard the one about the homeschooling family that lives on less than $22K a year in an area that costs above 100% (116%) of the National CoL Index?

I haven't quite figured out why so many people still persist in perpetuating the myth that living on a single income and homeschooling on a dime aren't possible. I can only suppose these are people who can't imagine life without a daily trip to Starbucks and dinner out several times a week. The people who actually shop at malls (*shudder*) and think "Brand Name = Best". The people who really live by the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.

That? Would not be us!

Welcome to our world. We cook from scratch. Buy from thrift stores. Find 95% of our homeschool materials for free. This is my blog and this is how we do it.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Photos?

Well, I have to admit, I've only once ever taken a picture of a gift I made, and while I'm posting it here, I'm afraid this will be a little misleading! You see, this was a gift made for a woman in our support group and is not like my usual gifts, because this was coming from all of us and other women contributed to the over-all costs. In fact, that's *why* I took the picture - so the other moms could see the final product before we presented it.

I can tell you this - the candle was $1.00 from Dollar Tree, as was the ceramic trinket box (The round thing by the basket handle.) The chocolates cost $1.00 total. I don't know about the basket or bath soap; someone gave them to me. The green material was - er, maybe .15 cents? I cut it from a fabric I bought at 50 cents a yard. The cloth that I embroidered I got in a large bundle of embroidery fabrics from Goodwill. I would say about .25 cents for that, rough estimate, based on how much I paid for the entire bundle.

In any case, as per requested by Iris, here is one picture anyway. I will have to start taking more pictures! It simply never occurred to me before!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is really really nice. I would LOVE to make gifts and not feel like a slave to the holiday of Christmas! Your work and your posts are so inspiring!

June 27, 2007 at 8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely gift - very nice personal touch with the embroidered cloth liner.

Did you teach yourself how to embroider also?

June 27, 2007 at 9:48 PM  
Blogger Just Me, Jenni said...

Thank you, both. :)

Yes, I did teach myself to embroider. I just used some books from the library (before there was an internet!)

http://primrosedesign.blogspot.com/ has links in the right hand column to "Stitch School" which teaches the basics of embroidery.

One great thing about embroidery is how inexpensive the thread is, and once you get the hang of it and can embroider on regular cloth - and not the pricey Aida stuff - this can become a gift-giving option that's really special without being costly.

A few years ago I purchased a book called 2001 Cross Stitch Designs from Better Homes and Gardens. I got it used, but I don't remember how much I paid for it. I use it a LOT now - the designs are perfect for small projects and there are several alphabet stitches. This basket's grape design and Kathryn's name are both from this book, and all the gift baskets I made last Christmas had designs from it.

I am also currently working on a Bible cover that came from a stamped design - one of those things were the design is printed on to the cloth; it's not counted cross stitch. I got it from a friend who received it as a gift but had no inclination to actually complete it, so she gave it to me. I'll have to take a picture of it when I'm done. :)

June 27, 2007 at 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely and thoughtful.

June 28, 2007 at 1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for the picture,lovely.
Iris

June 28, 2007 at 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



© 2007. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced by any means
except for print-outs for individual home, private use.