Welcome!


About Me E-mail
Have you heard the one about the homeschooling family that lives on less than $22K a year in an area that costs above 100% (116%) of the National CoL Index?

I haven't quite figured out why so many people still persist in perpetuating the myth that living on a single income and homeschooling on a dime aren't possible. I can only suppose these are people who can't imagine life without a daily trip to Starbucks and dinner out several times a week. The people who actually shop at malls (*shudder*) and think "Brand Name = Best". The people who really live by the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.

That? Would not be us!

Welcome to our world. We cook from scratch. Buy from thrift stores. Find 95% of our homeschool materials for free. This is my blog and this is how we do it.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

101 Books college-bound students should read.

The College Board offers THIS LIST of recommended reading for the college-bound student. Interesting choices; many of them the same books I read & listed in my High School Lit posts. I would be curious to see if any one student could read *all* of them, though. I'm sure it's entirely doable for a voracious reader, but I think it could potentially burn-out your average student.

I also firmly believe the Bible should be on this list. It's not about me "shoving my religion" on people or whatever it is that secularists are constantly crying foul over. The Bible has had a marked, direct influence on our culture, history, society, and literature. All students should be aware of this.

In addition to that list, they offer this follow-up: POETRY AND CULTURAL AND HISTORICAL TEXTS
3 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd add "The Good Earth" by Pearl Buck.

Jora

July 12, 2007 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Just Me, Jenni said...

Oh, good one, Jora! Did you see this in the news recently:
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_stories/20070627_Long-lost_typescript_surfaces.html

July 13, 2007 at 8:42 PM  
Blogger Shari Ellen said...

I agree with the Bible being required reading and this is why....The Bible is full of ancient history. I don't know why a real document that was written by people who witnessed all of these historical events wouldn't be read in school. The Bible explains so much about real events and the culture of the people. I find it interesting that there are quite often Bible questions on Jeopardy. I've seen the Bible quoted on many TV shows and in books. The Bible is a huge part of world history, yet it is banned from public school curriculum.

Your post really got me going.

March 27, 2008 at 12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



© 2007. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced by any means
except for print-outs for individual home, private use.