Welcome!


About Me E-mail
Have you heard the one about the homeschooling family that lives on less than $22K a year in an area that costs above 100% (116%) of the National CoL Index?

I haven't quite figured out why so many people still persist in perpetuating the myth that living on a single income and homeschooling on a dime aren't possible. I can only suppose these are people who can't imagine life without a daily trip to Starbucks and dinner out several times a week. The people who actually shop at malls (*shudder*) and think "Brand Name = Best". The people who really live by the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.

That? Would not be us!

Welcome to our world. We cook from scratch. Buy from thrift stores. Find 95% of our homeschool materials for free. This is my blog and this is how we do it.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Great FREE cookbooks and more.

First, just so y'all know: My computer lost its mind yesterday morning and decided my profile no longer existed. While I was able to pull up many of my files from back-up, I was not able to restore certain things that had been "customized" like my FTP information, my e-mail accounts (Though I was able to recall saved e-mails that had been backed-up. I only lost a few weeks worth.), and any and all program settings. I spent several hours fixing it, only to have the exact same thing happen to me today. My husband is laughingly calling it "Groundhog Day." He can say that. He's not the one re-installing everything again! Heh. Anyway, it is possible that if you e-mailed me at some point before about noon yesterday and didn't hear back, that your e-mail is gone, for which I truly apologize. Please feel free to write me again.

And to return to our regularly scheduled program - reader Hope pointed me in the direction of THE UNIVERSITY OF MAINE'S CO-OP EXTENSION SITE, which is definitely one of the best extension sites I've seen. In particular, you might be interested in the following free publications:

RECIPE IDEAS FOR THRIFTY FAMILIES
SAVING MONEY WITH HOMEMADE CONVENIENCE MIXES
SODIUM CONTENT OF YOUR FOOD

WINNING WAYS TO GROCERY SHOP WITH YOUNG CHILDREN
MAKING YOUR OWN BABY FOOD

And - erm - I'm including this one, but if you've read my "How I Shop" posts, one thing you'll know, I do NOT plan my meals before shopping because it would actually cost me *more* money. Still, FYI: CUTTING FOOD COSTS


Also, though I'm not sure anyone who doesn't have kids would actually bother much with coming here to Life. On a Budget., just in case there are any readers who are single or living with a roommate/spouse/significant other - there's a short series of books just for cooking for two. (And I suppose anyone who was interested could double or triple these recipes.)

THRIFTY RECIPES: MAIN DISHES
THRIFTY RECIPES: SALADS AND SOUPS, BREADS AND DESSERTS
BUYING FOOD FOR SMALL THRIFTY FAMILIES
IDEAS FOR PLANNING THRIFTY MEALS

I encourage you to explore the site further. In the "Eating Well" category under "Food & Health" you'll find an entire section of PDFs on specific fruits and vegetables that include nutritional information and recipes. There's also a "personal finance" section, which includes: MANAGING YOUR MONEY: PLANNED AND UNPLANNED SPENDING. Not all of the files are available as free PDFs or HTML, but the majority are. Definitely worth the look.

Hope doesn't have a blog I can point you to, so if you find any of this info useful, please take a second to post a comment here to thank her for her help!


PS - Hope, thanks again from me! :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



© 2007. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced by any means
except for print-outs for individual home, private use.