Welcome!


About Me E-mail
Have you heard the one about the homeschooling family that lives on less than $22K a year in an area that costs above 100% (116%) of the National CoL Index?

I haven't quite figured out why so many people still persist in perpetuating the myth that living on a single income and homeschooling on a dime aren't possible. I can only suppose these are people who can't imagine life without a daily trip to Starbucks and dinner out several times a week. The people who actually shop at malls (*shudder*) and think "Brand Name = Best". The people who really live by the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.

That? Would not be us!

Welcome to our world. We cook from scratch. Buy from thrift stores. Find 95% of our homeschool materials for free. This is my blog and this is how we do it.

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Making tortillas.

I mentioned in a previous post that I'd come across a 5 lb. bag of tortilla mix for 50 cents and decided to buy it, figuring if it turned out to be a disaster, at least it wouldn't be an expensive disaster. (I also figured we could always use the mix to dust the counter for kneading purposes when making biscuits, if nothing else.)

Turns out, it really is incredibly easy. I don't have a tortilla press or an electric griddle, either. The instructions said to heat the griddle to 400 degrees. We cooked the tortillas in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and they came out perfect. Also, I tried to roll out the tortillas with a rolling pin, but it ended up being quicker and easier to just pat them out by hand.

Yesterday, while shopping, I cruised by that same shelf and found the mix had been marked down again - to only ten cents a bag! So, I bought 2 more. I'm already thinking I should've picked up three or four.

We do our baking on Sunday afternoons. Today we've already made our waffles, pancakes, and tortillas, and right now the muffins are in the oven. (I'll be making some dinner rolls in a little bit, as well.) I found I could add making tortillas to the schedule quite easily. My children already love being the pancake turners, so now one gets to monitor the pancakes and the other takes the tortillas. We made 16 of them today. This week we'll be having enchiladas, sandwich wraps, and I'm going to take a stab at turning 4 of the torillas into taco salad bowls by basically FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS I FOUND HERE.

Since eventually I will run out of mix, and I sure can't count on stumbling across ten cent bags of the stuff, I went looking and found a WHOLE WHEAT TORTILLA RECIPE. It will be interesting to try this someday. :)

Labels:

6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! Hot and fresh tortillas must be so much better than the bagged ones, too.

July 8, 2007 at 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have freezer space? If so, buy all they've got and freeze it.

Jora

July 8, 2007 at 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love fresh tortillas. You'll have to let me know how you store them...I haven't had much luck with this. I had a hard time rolling them too.

Enjoy those tortillas, they are soooo yummy! And the mix is so easy to use, isn't it?

July 8, 2007 at 7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Taco Bowl recipes was gone. I wanted to compare it to mine. I just make foil balls -- mold tortilla over it and bake to my likeness

July 8, 2007 at 10:16 PM  
Blogger Just Me, Jenni said...

Oops! Sorry about the link - it wasn't gone, just broken. I fixed it.

July 8, 2007 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger Just Me, Jenni said...

Oh - and I've been storing them in a zipped plastic bag. We haven't kept them around long enough to need anything more than that. :)

July 8, 2007 at 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



© 2007. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced by any means
except for print-outs for individual home, private use.