Welcome!


About Me E-mail
Have you heard the one about the homeschooling family that lives on less than $22K a year in an area that costs above 100% (116%) of the National CoL Index?

I haven't quite figured out why so many people still persist in perpetuating the myth that living on a single income and homeschooling on a dime aren't possible. I can only suppose these are people who can't imagine life without a daily trip to Starbucks and dinner out several times a week. The people who actually shop at malls (*shudder*) and think "Brand Name = Best". The people who really live by the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.

That? Would not be us!

Welcome to our world. We cook from scratch. Buy from thrift stores. Find 95% of our homeschool materials for free. This is my blog and this is how we do it.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Test Prep.

If you have an older student who will soon be facing college entrance exams, there are some free sources he/she can utilize for practice.

SparkNotes - the site I linked to in the High School Lit posts - offers more than just classic literature guides. THIS PAGE has links to free online copies of test prep books for the SAT & ACT.

CliffsNotes also offers a PREP SECTION.

The STUDY GUIDE ZONE has test prep help for many different standardized exams. (Note to Florida parents: THIS PAGE covers FCAT test prep. As homeschoolers, taking the FCAT is a legitimate, legal way to meet accountability standards; however, our children are not allowed access to the FCAT Explorer on-line test prep program made available to public school children. I have contacted the state & DOE about this several times and will continue to do so. Perhaps someday this could be changed. Meanwhile, you might want to keep the Study Guide Zone in mind, though their guide is specifically targeted toward the high-school level FCAT.)

TEST PREP PREVIEW has a series of free practice tests - including graduate and vocational exams.

MAJOR TESTS offers free SAT, GRE and GMAT practice exams and help.

Finally, 4 TESTS has a wide range of free pratice tests for educational, professional, and computer exams.

Labels:

5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks much. I wonder if you'd ever give us a glimpse into your homeschooling day -- schedule, subjects, etc.

I have a young teen in 7th grade ... and I'm wondering how to fit it all in!

Jora

July 16, 2007 at 9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links. I have a 10th grader and I'm STILL trying to figure out how to get it all done in time! ;)

July 16, 2007 at 7:14 PM  
Blogger Just Me, Jenni said...

Jora, somewhere in my backed-up files I have an actual weekly schedule. When I get my computer issues solved, I'll post it and an explanation.

Birdie, I know just what you mean! Even though my son is only a 7th grader, because we want to use dual enrollment, I feel like we're two years behind in a way.

July 17, 2007 at 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jenni.

I'd also like to see what you did for school last year ... for 4th and 6th grades. Of course, since you probably don't have much free time, I expect you'll post that about the time our GRANDCHILDREN are in 4th and 6th grades.

Jora

July 20, 2007 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger IBMaths4u said...

Very interesting article!!
I would like to comment that SAT test-takers maybe find helpful the new SAT math forum at SAT math 4u
SAT math 4u

Thanks
Elisabeth

July 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



© 2007. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced by any means
except for print-outs for individual home, private use.